Wednesday, August 27, 2008

So it goes

Said shriek of shock was not of fear, as my dear mother would so dependably render, but of anger and a thirst for blood. I was a bit shocked by the tenacity of the pursuit. The fury was unquenched until the creature was caught; at that point, cooing and "aawww"-ing started. "Look at him! He's cute. I can't possibly kill him! I think he can just be let go in the woods."


We nearly got two kittens today. Amy's boss opened the shop this morning to find some abandoned at his doorstep. Thankfully, the neighbor girl agreed to adopt them, letting my .22 and/or the fan of my truck off the hook.


Tonight the prospect of any pencil on paper potrait project was abandoned by the household artist. The oil and canvas was attacked, with much success in my opinion. It is with much eagerness that I look forward to this completed image hanging in my dining room.


4 comments:

Darren Byler said...

was that a mouse you were after?

the picture looks really good. reminds me of a few in the 19th century galleries at the Met.

D

Gene and Amy Stauffer said...

It was a vole. Mouse-like, but with a short tail and a stubby nose.

I can hardly wait until that picture is finished. She's saying its only just begun. I am amazed by her talent.

Miller scribe said...

In light of your recent small visitor... just be glad you were not at work -in a bank- at the moment of contact. This actually happened to an employee while I was in the bank this week. You don't expect to hear screaming in a bank, so the poor girl was quite embarressed by her momentary unprofessional behavior. There was one male employee on duty, who was called upon to deal with the problem. He was in the process of showing 2 female prospective employees around; I believe they were contemplating declining the job when I left.

Meredith said...

Maybe if Amy painted a cat in the picture it would help keep mice out of your house.

Merle

"PRIDE GOES BEFORE DESTRUCTION" AND IN OUR MODERN ERA, PRIDE AMONG THE NATURAL SCIENCES HAS TAKEN THE FORM OF OVERESTIMATING OUR KNOWLEDGE, OF ARROGATING FOR SCIENCE A KIND OF OMNISCIENCE THE WE DO NOT IN FACT HAVE. OR, TO REFINE IT A BIT: "PLAYING GOD" MEANS WE CONFUSE THE KNOWLEDGE WE DO HAVE WITH THE WISDOM TO KNOW HOW TO USE IT.