Thursday, November 27, 2008

Stages of Incompletion

Since Gene posted a photo of the very much incomplete version of my most recent painting, I thought I could provide an update of my progress...

I'm not sure if I should yet call it finished or not. Perfectionist that I am, I struggle quite a bit with actually deciding something is finished. So, here I am asking for some feedback. If anyone looks at this and thinks something doesn't look quite right, I am open to suggestions. Since this is probably only about the fourth painting I've taken this far, my inexperience is a great liability.

Gene just financed the purchase of a real easel for me. Previously, I had been working on a card table that was barely larger than the canvas itself and the whole affair was generally inconvenient. Now, I can paint like a "professional". I took for granted how much difference working on an easel would make. I'm not sure what I'll do after I'm satisfied with my Tuscan villa. Gene wants me to do a still life a a wine glass with some red wine and grapes to keep with the Italian theme, part of me wants to try another beach scene. We'll see...

2 comments:

Scribbler said...

Looks great to me. I like the shadows. They add an element of reality.

Gray Lane said...

Those hills look rather like Berks County. Can I imagine myself in Italy while in Berks County? I like the painting. Makes me wish I could be creative.

"PRIDE GOES BEFORE DESTRUCTION" AND IN OUR MODERN ERA, PRIDE AMONG THE NATURAL SCIENCES HAS TAKEN THE FORM OF OVERESTIMATING OUR KNOWLEDGE, OF ARROGATING FOR SCIENCE A KIND OF OMNISCIENCE THE WE DO NOT IN FACT HAVE. OR, TO REFINE IT A BIT: "PLAYING GOD" MEANS WE CONFUSE THE KNOWLEDGE WE DO HAVE WITH THE WISDOM TO KNOW HOW TO USE IT.