Wednesday, April 1, 2009

More Clouded Leopard

Here's the current status after last night's work. I feel like it's finally starting look like the whole animal and it has more of a body. The whole thing feels less like a disembodied head to me. I'm frustrated by the tail and the cat's hind portions. Those areas in my reference photo are out of focus, so my hope with this was to use the same effect. However, my attempts at that thus far have been less than satisfying. I've seen some artists place objects outside of the focal point out of focus, especially with wildlife art, but it seems I'm not one of those artists that can do that successfully, at least not with this piece. I'm also not happy with the curve of his rump on the top right hand corner, so I think I'm going to cut into it a little bit when I go over the background again. As it is, if one were to follow the line of it's back beyond the edge of the painting I think the current proportions would make it look a little humpback. I'm hoping that streamlining that space will slim him down a bit. Any C & C's welcome.




No comments:

"PRIDE GOES BEFORE DESTRUCTION" AND IN OUR MODERN ERA, PRIDE AMONG THE NATURAL SCIENCES HAS TAKEN THE FORM OF OVERESTIMATING OUR KNOWLEDGE, OF ARROGATING FOR SCIENCE A KIND OF OMNISCIENCE THE WE DO NOT IN FACT HAVE. OR, TO REFINE IT A BIT: "PLAYING GOD" MEANS WE CONFUSE THE KNOWLEDGE WE DO HAVE WITH THE WISDOM TO KNOW HOW TO USE IT.